Friday, April 9, 2010

The Effects of Circuit Training

Circuit Training is one of the most effective ways to gain strength, while increasing cardiovascular fitness. Not to mention burning LOTS of calories, more calories than your traditional weight training workout. The key to the workout is moderately low resistance and high repetition exercises, over a given period of time. A group of exercises (called stations) is normally created and each station is performed immediately after the previous exercise. For example, you can make 3 stations (ex: chest press, lunges, biceps curls) and perform them right after the other, with no rest except from moving from one station to the next. After the 3 stations are done, you take an extended rest period (around 5 minutes), then perform a different set of stations.

Now, depending on your conditioning level, you can set many stations in a row. In my opinion, setting up 8 stations can give you a total body workout, and that would be considered a circuit. If your creative, you can create countless stations and apply different levels of difficulty, but that's another story. When I set up a circuit regimen for my clients or myself, I will create a couple of circuits. All circuits will involve the total body, but each one has a different set of exercises. Each exercise is timed, any where from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on your conditioning level. Below, I will write two circuits of 6 stations. If your a beginner, start with 3 stations (30 seconds each) as a circuit, and perform 4-6 circuits. Make sure each circuit is a different set of exercises and take at least 5 minutes rest per circuit. Enjoy!

Circuit #1

Barbell Chest Press
Lunges
Tricep Pulldown
Knee Extensions
Barbell Biceps Curls
Hamstring Curls


Circuit #2

Lat Pull-downs
Squats
Decline Bench Sit-ups
Cable Chest Fly
Step-ups
Dumbbell Shoulder Press

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the advice. I started the "Body for Life" and found it good for the training part but the diet and eating that many meals a day didn't work for me. I have IBS and so diet is very hard, any suggestions there? I also have a product that I use ( and now sell because it was a great product and opportunity) Electrolyte, energy, and antioxident strips. They are easy on the stomach and help me achieve maximum performance. I will definately spread the word on your site and blog. I also have a blog MeOkieGal random blogs check it out. Good luck and thanks again for the info. Rhonda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda. Thanks for following my blog and spreading the word! It is hard to find foods that will keep your GI tract calm. The best types of foods for your condition are ones that help with normal bowel function, such as fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes, and whole grain products. Try to keep the foods as natural as possible and stay away from foods that can stimulate the digestive tract (caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, dairy, red meats, etc). I hope this helps. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete